My notes say that these rules were first compiled by Fellows of the Studies Group at the Naval War College in Newport, Rhode Island (1982 -1983) and modified by D. A. Stuart in 1984.
- Never wrestle with a pig; you both get dirty and the pig likes it! Corollary: Never try to teach a pig to sing; it annoys the pig and it can’t be done anyway.
- Never argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference!
- Observe everything; admire nothing [know you’re ignorant!]
- It’s easier to obtain forgiveness than it is permission!
- Rarely resist the opportunity to keep your mouth shut!
- Don’t ask the question if you cannot live with the answer!
- If you want a new idea, read an old book!
- If you don’t know [care] where you’re going, any road will take you there!
- Never have a philosophy which supports a lack of [integrity or] courage!
- Never look back unless you intend to go that way!